When in Roehm




It’s a rainy Sunday afternoon in San Francisco. I love the sound of rain on the windows. The rain provides an excuse to stay in. It’s a wonderful chance to catch up on projects around the house. For me it has been an afternoon of sorting my travel photos from the last few months.


One of the highlights was the privilege to meet and have tea with the charming, beautiful style icon- Carolyne Roehm at her home Weatherstone. It was built by a relative of Cotton Mather's in the mid-18th century, and rebuilt after an electrical fire ravaged the original built. It is set on 59 acres in Sharon, Connecticut. The grounds include formal and cutting gardens, a greenhouse, tennis courts, ponds, streams and waterfalls, acres and acres of horse paddocks.





Spending the afternoon enjoying my photos have transported me back, triggering memories and every detail. I can taste the champagne, see the freshly picked autumn apples (picked from her trees, naturally) decorated so beautifully in bowls, smell the Diptyque candles, hear the beautiful classical music wafting, feel the fall air coming in the French doors and hear Carolyne’s stories of her life and her passion and love of her home.














"Once I had the fire, I wanted to have less stuff. I just wanted to have less," Carolyne told me.


"The things that bring life into a room – music, candles, flowers, dogs – that's what makes a room memorable."




I couldn’t agree with her more. I of course loved the fact that she has a Westie (as well as many other dogs). I love the fact that she doesn’t have a formal dining room. She told me that she much prefers being able to set up tables in various rooms of her house.









I am loving my cozy day here today. I wonder what Carolyn is up to today? I can picture her right now in her beautiful double-story living room - with its crisp and fresh white paint, filled with her exquisite collection of antiques. Carolyne was just off to Turkey and Egypt when I visited with her. I'm sure she's back home now.



I have to wonder if she is sitting and looking at her recent trip with the same joy that I have when I look back at my memory of my afternoon with her.

No comments: