Inspiration

People often ask me where I find inspiration for my designs.

Sometimes it really can be as simple as walking down the street.

Most recently I found a few great design ideas while in Montreal and I honestly didn't have to leave the hotel room!


These two photos at first glance might seem like some fancy wall covering or something done in stone.
I was amazed to see that they had just taken drywall and cut it into large squares. I felt that the idea was pretty brilliant. Not only did it provide texture and interest to the wall, but it was just so much more interesting than just another painted wall. I might have to steal this idea.





The next idea was a little bit farther (but not really that far) to the lobby of the hotel. In these photos I was really drawn to how they created their own cocktail table. By taking a stone and architectural element and then building a cover for it out of plexi. Such an easy idea. This way you can enjoy looking at the object, but the piece becomes functional by being able to have a flat surface to put things down on. I love the juxtaposition between the rustic elements and then the plexi being translucent and modern.





You know what I really love and I was reminded of? A double window treatment. I forgot how much I love matchstick roman shades and then layering with another roman shade. The look is so clean and tailored. What I love about matchstick shades is that you can still see out and see the view. They do offer privacy and a great way to use texture. Then at night you can close the fabric roman shade over the matchstick.




Who says light switches have to go vertical? Why not mix things up and install one going horizontal?




Now this last idea isn't anything new or really special at all. But is is something that I try to install in new bathroom construction. A nice little recessed cubby for putting shampoo bottles and soaps and things in the shower. I don't like clutter in the shower nor am I fan of a shower caddy.






Where do you find inspiration? When you travel? When you go to the beach? Out for dinner? Watching old movies? Would love to hear!

No comments: